Before You Build
Building anywhere has a lot of moving parts and we are hoping this cheat sheet will make it a little easier on you to know some of the most common questions and sections of the CC&R’s to get familiar with.
There are specific guidelines related to tree removal, fences, gates and animals that don’t tie specifically to building but that you will want to become familiar with if any of these relate to you.
Before You Build
Prior to construction including items such as roads, water, sewer lines, and structures beginning you must first notify the CBPOA Board of Directors of your intent.
The documents you will want to review are the CC&R’s and Land Use Plan to insure that what you intend is permissible. Please submit your plans in writing to the Board of Directors. Below are guidelines to help ensure you include some of the common aspects considered in building, this list is not all inclusive.
- Property owner’s name, contact information
- Legal county parcel description and number
- Builder’s information (name, phone number) if builder has been selected
- Beginning Date of Construction
- Completion Date
- A scaled Land Use plot plan that shows building site access, fencing and gates. The positions of the primary dwelling and all appurtenant structures with all the setback distances clearly marked
- A “Lot Plan”. This shows the footprint of all buildings on your property and setbacks
- Kootenai County stamped plans, showing all elevations of any building to be constructed. These will be returned to you
- Scaled floor plans of each building shown on plot plan showing elevations
- Color samples for main exterior and trim, roofing material type and color. (We cannot accept colors from the internet. They do not reproduce accurately. Color samples will be retained.) Colors must be earth tones, to blend with our environment. No bright colors, blues, yellow or pure whites
Please copy and reduce your elevation plans to 11″ x 17″. These will be retained for the Architectural-Landscaping Committee records. The committee does not need electrical, heating or plumbing plans.
After the Architectural-Landscaping Committee receives all of the above they will present their recommendations to the Board of Directors. You will be notified in writing of the decision and recommendations. Remember: All septic tanks must be a minimum of 1000 gallons. A shutoff valve and water meter must be placed at your property prior to start of your build. This allows you to have access to water during the building process and the association to isolate any leaks or ruptures without turning off the community supply. (The language of this paragraph is under active review. Please consult the Board of Directors for details. March 23, 2018)
Please email your request including the items listed above to the following email addresses:
Here are some of the related sections of the CC&R’s and Land Use Plan.
Land Use requirements CC&Rs # C 76.00 through C 88.00 for information and definitions of the following,
- C 76.00 Land Use Plan
- Access and Fencing C 78.00
- Setbacks C 80.00
- Primary structures C 82.00
- Appurtenant Structures C 84.00
- Community Standards C 86.00
- Construction and Renovations C 88.00
The intent of the process is to preserve the “Lakeside” residential community. In ensuring your information is provided with adequate time for review, it allows for your residence or structure to be reviewed prior to work being started.
Copyright © 2019 CBPOA. All rights reserved. Revised 03/16/2018